You have kid means you have faced the very common problem among a lot and that is getting your baby to sleep through the night. There are lots of reasons out there because of which your baby does not sleep. Your baby may need a feed or your baby may expect your comfort and reassurance during the whole night and a lot more. However, we are not here to mention what are the reasons, we are here to guide you on how to get baby to sleep through the night.
You know that if your baby is not sleeping at night can result in the disturbance of your own sleeping patterns. As a result, your day time spoils with a feeling of tiredness and sapped of energy. If the situation continues more, it impacts both you and your baby. Let us face it; sleep is something like a learned skilled. So it is very important to get your baby to sleep through the night through the learning process. Now, let us find out how to do that effectively.
- It is important to set a bedtime routine: You have to understand it is never too early to set a bedtime routine to start. It is good to have a simple and sustainable bedtime routing so it would be easier for you to maintain that every night. Once you set the routine, do not try to give it even a little change. This is because any little change in your baby’s bedtime routine can cause the baby feeling off, and suddenly waking your baby more frequently at every night. Calming and soothing activities like swaddling and shushing are very good to your baby if your baby seemed to respond to it before. Try to set this routine where there is a calm and positive sleeping environment all the time.
- Understand your baby’s sleep pattern and try avoiding overtiredness: Understanding the baby’s sleep pattern is really vital for every parent. On the other hand, every parent should have the knowledge about how overtiredness can make the thing tough for your baby to sleep. It is true that a baby only can happily stay awake for a short period of time. A young newborn baby age of up to 6 weeks can only be able to stay awake only for 20-30 minutes at a stretch. So if you feed your baby by this time, you can expect your baby to get ready for sleep within the next half an hour. With time, this sleep pattern will change and the waking time of your baby will start increasing. And it would be one hour till 3 months age of your baby. So knowing all these will help you to understand what your baby needs. Another thing is to try to avoid overtiredness of your baby. You should try to play active games during day time and quite games during night time. If you change the rule, your baby may get overtired. As a result, your little angel would not sleep as overtiredness hampers sleeping.
- Learn how to calm your baby before bedtime: This thing is also important to get your baby sleep through the night. For this, you have to make the surrounding quite or you need to find out a calm place where there is no TV sound or music or any other noise activity. At this time, try to cuddle your baby in a blanket or in a swaddle if your baby loves this to get. You can also try talking or singing to your baby quietly before sleep. Try to create an environment that makes your baby understand that it is the time to relax and chill out. If your baby likes darkness to sleep, then make the place dark. Following all these rules, you can make your baby calm before bedtime. Once you are able to calm your baby, you are good to go and your baby will fall asleep within a short period of time.
- Teach your baby to self-soothe: Teaching your baby to self-soothe means trying your maximum to make your baby soothe less. If your baby wakes up in the middle of the night and starts crying for you, it is good to go and check to them. Make this checking process short and train your baby to understand that it is still time to sleep but not to cry, play or eat. Make your baby fall asleep on her own. This thing will really help you to improve your baby’s sleeping pattern. When your baby awake from the sleep, observe the situation and do not let her understand you are beside her. If your baby is still awake, then calm your baby by placing your hand for a few moments on the chest. Then you are good to leave the room. Thus you can train your baby how to soothe less or self-soothe.
- Make day time feed social and lively and night time feed calm and quite: This way is a very helpful for your baby as it will teach your baby and make her feel that there is a difference between day time and night time. And this will also help your baby to set a body clock. When you feed your baby at day time with tolerable noisy surrounding and play with her, your baby will less likely to sleep. But when you create a calm environment and feed your baby, she will more likely to fall asleep and soon your baby will understand this sleeping pattern.
Finally, it can be said that if your baby does not fall asleep maintaining a routine, the situation becomes worse for you as you need to do a lot of daily activities every day. So it is very much important for you to know how to get baby to sleep through the night. Hopefully, the techniques we have mentioned here will help you out to do the thing perfectly.
Leave a Reply